Friday, September 21, 2012

have you heard of Songza?


One bummer of living overseas is you can't use any of the major streaming services, like Hulu and Spotify and Pandora and Netflix Streaming (yes, Netflix, even though you pay for a subscription and everything!).  Trust me, I've tried.  Over and over.  It's because we have an Italian IP (internet) address and these services are not yet authorized to play in certain countries.  

I guess one plus is that it does cut down on the amount of TV Elliott and I might possibly would definitely watch.  But it's just sad that we can't stream free music in this day and age.  How else is a new mama living on an island (hah) supposed to stay relevant, hip, and cool?

So when I come back to the States I indulge myself in streaming music services (and Starbucks and B&N and thrift stores and Chipotle).  My favorite streaming music site is Songza, a totally hip site that helps narrow down my radio station to my mood.  I took some screenshots to introduce you to it.

Here is what Songza looks like now, on Thursday night, while I am writing this post:


I chose "Unwind After a Long Day," because I have a toddler and it was.  Songza then said:


Because I wanted to prove to you how hip and cool I am (despite my earlier self-pitying proclamations otherwise), I chose "Atmospheric Indie."


Because I was a little frightened when I got to this page and realized I was in over my head, I chose "Dream Pop."  I like nice dreams.


And here I am, with you, looking at this page and enjoying some mellow, chill tunes.  Ahhh...!

Other reasons to love Songza:
  • Three words: No. Audio. Ads.   Move over, Pandora.
  • A "Popular" tab where you can play popular playlists from this week, this year, or that are currently trending.  For those of us who are really concerned about staying relevant.
  • The same rating system as we're all used to from other music streaming services: skip this song, thumbs up (play more like this), thumbs down, pause.
  • Search and "browse all songs" features to find what you're really looking for.
  • Apps for your iPhone, Android, and Kindle, too.
Now go check out Songza and enjoy along with me!

P.S. Songza obviously did not pay me to write this.  I am not that cool.

Vintage vinyl image via here.

13 comments:

  1. Nifty! I'll tell my daughter about that, as her old crotchety parents (ahem...) pretty much listen to NPR these days.

    But you totally reminded me---I did NOT miss regular commercials when we lived in Germany. Since we only watched AFN channels, we were really out of the loop for "stuff" commercials. A bunch of college kids came to our church to lead a VBS one summer, and they kept laughing at "It's a Hemi." No one, seriously NO ONE at our church knew what they were talking about.

    Ah, your posts make me miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great how you can tailor what you listen to by your mood. Perfect!

    Also, I love your blog and the story of your family (so fun to read the 'Meet Us' section.) Such fantastic travels! Can't wait to see what is next in store for the three (soon to be four) of you. :)

    P.S. I'm flattered you love the book clutch tutorial. It is definitely my favorite project I've done so far. I'd love to see yours if you get a chance to make one. And, I'm honored my little blog has made it into your blogroll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a way to get over the IP address issue. Casey changed our IP address to make it seem like we were in England so we could watch the Olympics on the BBC. If you're interested I could ask him how he did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not technically legal so we've chosen not to do it. LOTS of our friends in Italy do this, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really interesting--- I'd never even heard of it! Definitely checking this out.

    xoAnnaKate
    godlygirlz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really interesting--- I'd never even heard of it! Definitely checking this out.

    xoAnnaKate
    godlygirlz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog in the comments section of Making It Lovely. Love reading your adventures around Sicily! I grew up between Nicolosi a Mascalucia. (My father was in the Navy) Miss seeing Mt. Etna and the town markets. Although it's so far from Virginia I hope it's been a wonderful, enriching experience so far! The hiking Mt. Etna erupting pictures are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am with you on the frustrations of living over seas! also, you could check out projectfreetv.com - it's like hulu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again...Just a thought...
    I don't know exactly what genre of music you like best, but have you tried streaming music from KLOVE.com?
    It's a contemporary Christian radio station. They also stream on the Internet. I don't know if Italy filters them out, but it might be worth a try if you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad that you decided to stop by my little blog! And I have to say, your daughter has quite a beautiful name. ;)

    P.S. LOVE songza

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jen, I'm so excited to hear from someone else who is familiar with my neck of the woods! Stopping by your blog in a minute...

    Stacie and Krystal, thanks for the recommendations. I'll be sure to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the info about Songza. Another option over here is Jango.com because it looks like Songza has gone the route of Pandora and won't allow overseas use.

    Like your blog! You might like mine www.sicilyciao.com

    ReplyDelete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...