(Why does she have two spoons and three cups?!)
Anyway, I was thinking of all my East Coast friends who are stuck in Hurricane Sandy and this sounded like a cozy meal to enjoy tonight. If you've still got power (and can read this) and also have the ingredients (hah?), here are both delicious recipes:
Lemon Chicken & Orzo Soup
adapted from this recipe / serves 8
- 3lbs chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces (thank you, Emily W!)
- 4.5 cups low-sodium or homemade chicken broth
- 4.5 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups chopped carrot
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (or 2 T dried parsley)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Coarsely cracked black pepper (optional)
- Mix water and chicken broth in a large pot. Add carrot, onion, celery, and salt to pan.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add reserved chicken, and simmer 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Add pasta to pan with chicken and broth mixture; stir in parsley, rind, and juice.
- Garnish each serving with lemon wedges and cracked black pepper, if desired.
Sweet Golden Cornbread
adapted from this recipe / makes one 9-inch pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray or lightly grease a 9-inche round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Stir in egg, milk, and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.