I've been wanting to share this delicious recipe for awhile now. As lemons appear to be in season all year round in Sicily (unlike blood oranges, much to my chagrin!), these cookies make both a light summer treat or a refreshing sweet on a cold January day. They were a big hit in our house. Enjoy!
Chewy Lemon Cookies
found via Hooray Blog
Makes 24-36 cookies.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of one large lemon
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a larger bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, lemon zest and juice.
- Add in dry ingredients, beating until just combined. Roll rounded spoonfuls of dough into balls and then roll in sugar. Place on lined cookie sheets, about 1 or 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. (Mine needed just 8 minutes; they were not yet golden but I wanted them still pale and tender.) Remove from oven and let stand on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing to cook on wire racks.