Monday, July 2, 2012

that time we went to Greece


There's a whole story behind our last-minute, semi-harrowing journey to Crete last week, but I'm going to save it for tomorrow when the four loads of laundry are no longer calling my name.  There are some lovely pictures to share of a magnificent island, and I'll also tell you what's like for your plane to lose an engine halfway across the Mediterranean!

In the meantime, I have a wonderful article I want to share with you: Constraint and Consent, Career and Motherhood.  Kate Harris, Executive Director of the Washington Institute, wrote a response to the much-discussed Atlantic article Why Women Still Can't Have It All.  Kate's perspective is insightful and encouraging, especially as she writes as a Christian woman who works part-time as she mothers three pre-school-age children full time.  Read Kate's article and be encouraged and inspired to use the constraints of motherhood to figure out your true calling and passions.

As I muddle through volunteering as a nurse, developing my skills as a homemaker, blogging somewhat regularly, knitting with a purpose, I wonder where in there lie my true passions, now gently and firmly constrained by the presence of little Lena in our lives.  I think of two of my friends who are going back to school (taking classes at home) to become midwives while raising their young children.  I think of other bloggers who have studiously developed their writing or design or photography skills while nursing young bodies or homeschooling young minds.  I think of many published authors who have written during nap time as they crafted their life's work.  Wherein lies my deepest passion?  How can I refine my vocation and pursue the sweetest calling of all, all to the glory of God?

2 comments:

  1. Ditto what Eden said! Also, the fact that the author quotes Annie Dillard wins her a million brownie points.

    ReplyDelete

let's have a conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...